Did You Know?
- #1 FACT: Most domestic violence incidents are never reported.
- On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been victims of [some form of] physical violence by an intimate partner within their lifetime.
- 1 in 5 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
- Women between the ages of 18-24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner.
Local Statistics and Information
LACADA’s programs have helped thousands of women, children and men find safety, information and support since we first opened our doors.
Highlights from this past year:
- The emergency shelter provided over 2,100 nights of safe shelter to adults and 1,400 nights of safe shelter to children.
- LACADA responded to over 900 crisis calls to the help hotline.
- Staff provided over 200 survivors with over a thousand instances of individual supportive counseling, support groups and personal advocacy that included assistance with safety planning, Personal Protection orders, court accompaniment, life-skills, finding employment, housing options, education, budgeting.
- LACADA’s Transitional Supportive Housing Program, provided over 8,500 nights of safe housing to the women and children residing in our long-term supportive living program last fiscal year.